WHAT IS THE FORTNIGHT FOR FREEDOM?
From June 21 through July 4, Catholics nationwide will take part in the fourth annual “Fortnight for Freedom”, a 14-day period of prayer, education, and action for the protection of our fundamental right to religious liberty. The Fortnight for Freedom was first initiated by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Ad Hoc Committee on Religious Liberty in 2012, in response to the government’s HHS mandate forcing employers, even Catholic employers and private business owners of good conscience, to provide abortifacient drugs, contraception, and sterilization in their employees’ health plans or face exorbitant fines. For the Catholic Church, our many ministries of education, healthcare, and charitable works continue to be at stake. Many people of all faiths have spoken out strongly against this violation of conscience rights. Currently 105 cases with over 300 plaintiffs have been filed against the mandate (visit www.becketfund.org to learn more about these cases).
The theme for this year’s Fortnight for Freedom is Witnesses to Freedom, emphasizing the many saintly witnesses, both past and present, who inspire us by their witness to the truth of the Gospel.
Visit www.fortnight4freedom.org to learn more about the very real and current threats to our religious liberty and rights of conscience and what you can do about it.
HOW CAN I PARTICIPATE IN THE DIOCESE OF WORCESTER'S OBSERVANCE OF THE FORTNIGHT FOR FREEDOM?
1) Attend our Opening Event on Tuesday, June 21
2) Participate in events or devotions at your parish or a neighboring parish:
Watch your parish bulletin for details.
Subscribe to our email list (see below for how).
Check for updates in The Catholic Free Press.
Listen for announcements on 1230 AM Emmanuel Radio
Area events will also be posted here as we are notified of them. If your parish is planning an event, please send the information to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can help spread the word!
WHAT KINDS OF THINGS CAN MY PARISH DO TO PARTICIPATE?
ARE THERE WAYS I CAN PARTICIPATE ON MY OWN?
Yes, definitely! CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF RESOURCES
1) Pray! Prayer is powerful! Perhaps offer a daily rosary, attend weekday Mass, practice some form of fasting, etc. (see the parish suggestions above for more ideas)
2) Learn! Read more about our fundamental right to religious freedom. Many resources, including articles, church documents, bulletin inserts, and videos can be accessed at www.fortnight4freedom.org.
3) Spread the word! Tell others about the Fortnight and why our religious liberty is in jeopardy. Share some of the resources on this site and at www.fortnight4freedom.org for more information.
4) Utilize social media to educate others and spread the word. Graphics and downloads for your website are available at www.fortnigh4freedom.org.
WHAT IF I WANT TO PARTICIPATE BUT I'M AWAY ON VACATION?
Fortnight for Freedom events are taking place nationwide!
Visit www.fortnight4freedom.org and click on "Diocesan Activities" on the left side of the page to find activities throughout the U.S.
HOW CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION ABOUT LOCAL EVENTS?
Subscribe to the Respect Life Office's e-mail list. Simply send an email to email@example.com and ask to be added to the list. We send periodic emails which may contain articles, announcements, listings of area events, etc. It is a blind list and your email is not shared with others. You can unsubscribe at any time by using the "unsubscribe" button at the bottom of the emails.